Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Facebook is home

I have decided to take a break from the spotlight for this post. 

The first reason is that I just created four new accounts on sites that are popular in Brazil, Spain, Japan, etc. that you will be hearing about in the near future.  However, I want to really get to know how these sites work first, and hopefully talk to some people who use the sites.

The second reason is because I have come to realize why Facebook is so popular in the US and why QQ is for China, etc. etc.

Now maybe this is obvious, but in making all these pages on new networks, and struggling with making friends who will actually talk to me and not just accept my request to be friends, I truly understand why everyone is on Facebook. 

Who wants to make an account on a foreign site such as Hyves, the popular site in the Netherlands, only to find that you cannot do anything on the site because you have no friends, and cannot make any friends because of privacy issues or language barriers?  Moreover, if none of your friends are on the network, then how would you stay connected to what’s going on in your social life? Who would you creep on??

I am not at all criticizing the privacy settings on these sites, personally I have my own Facebook privacy settings very strict, but it really does limit what you can do if you don't have any friends on the network already.
And personally, I love making these new accounts, and will continue to do so and search for friends willing to talk.  It is a nice change from Facebook, which is sometimes a bit annoying when you read everything that everyone you know is doing at every second of everyday.

It's like a vacation away from home to visit another country.

No comments:

Post a Comment