Monday, December 6, 2010

MySpace Desperation

MySpace was a fairly popular network in the US and other places around the world.  In the US it is known as the old school social network that has fallen off the face of the earth (unless you are a sex predator, struggling band, or under the age of 13).

For years, MySpace has been competing to catch up with Facebook.  They have revamped the site, changing things like the layout and logo (which is now My_______.). 

However, they have now reached an all time low. Rather than continue to fail and compete, they have joined their enemy.  MySpace now has a 'mashup' feature with Facebook.

What is this?

Facebook  users are now able to transfer their likes and interests to their MySpace account when they sign into Facebook from their MySpace page. From here, they will get a stream of content based on their likes and interests making it more of a source of enterainment rather than a social network.

Regardless of whether this new 'mashup' is successful or not, it is not bringing in new users, only potentially attempting to keep the final existing users.

While I was never allowed to have a MySpace when I was younger, I created an account (look at me now mom!) to check out this 'mashup' feature.  I wasn't too impressed, it catered to my likes, showing the music, movies, and other various things attached to my Facebook profile, but wasn't something I would log onto everyday for social entertainment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment